Posts for: December, 2020
Diabetes impacts every aspect of your life--and your body from head to toe. To prevent complications, the doctors at Foot Health Center recommend diligent diabetic care at home and in their West Orange, NJ, office. Here's what Drs. Verdi, Discepola, Botros, and DeLorenzo want you to know.
Proper foot care
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that half of diabetic Americans experience peripheral neuropathy, the reduced nerve function in feet and hands caused by fluctuating blood sugars. Plus, many patients have reduced peripheral circulation. Combine these conditions, and you set the stage for injuries, infections, and deformities--even amputations.
However, with daily foot care, you minimize the chances of poor podiatric health. Be sure to manage your blood sugars, take your medications as your primary care physician prescribes, and maintain a healthy diet and vital lifestyle.
Here are additional foot care tips from your friends at Foot Health Center in West Orange, NJ:
- Bathe your feet with mild soap and water daily. Dry them completely with a soft towel.
- Apply moisturizer to avoid dry skin and cracking. Do not put it between the toes.
- Don dry, clean socks every day or any time you sweat. Alternate your shoe choices.
- Do not go barefoot, even in your home, to avoid injury.
- Purchase quality shoes that fit correctly, particularly in the toes.
- Elevate your feet after a long day to promote circulation and reduce swelling.
- Use clean nail clippers to trim your nails straight across the toes. Do not round them as this causes ingrown nails.
- Look at all foot surfaces every day to discover any changes in skin temperature, texture, or integrity.
- If you have corns or calluses, do not remove them yourself. See your podiatrist.
- See your foot doctor once a year (or more often as he or she deems necessary). Call the office right away if you have a question or see a problem developing.
You can have them if you pay careful attention to how they look, act, and feel. Diabetic foot care is indispensable. Please allow Foot Health Center in West Orange, NJ, to partner with you. Call for an appointment with Dr. Michael Verdi, Dr. Kirsten Discepola, Dr. Douglas DeLorenzo, or Dr. Merihan Botros: (973) 731-1266.